Heart Disease Expert Forum
LVH
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

LVH

Hi All,

wish you all have a blessed day. I monitor my BP daily and I it has been normal ever since but i do have an elevated blood cholesterol despite going to the gym 4 times a week. 4 months ago I started having dizzy spells, palpitations, blurred visions and brain fog and i started having anxiety and panic attacks so i decided to visit my cardio. ECG was normal but he told that i am hypertensive and i am now taking carvideloland  i should Undergo Holter, blood test, Carotid and Echocardiogram. Both Holter and Carotid came back normal. Blood test shows i have high cholesterol and LDL. Echo was normal except that i have borderline LVH.

Questions:
1- Can weight lifting cause LVH and is it reversible?
2- is my home BP monitor (i have 2 monitors) defective as at the doctor's office i am hypertensive?
3- Shoukd i worry about LVH?
4- Should I stop going to the gym?
5- now i have high anxiety and whenever anxiety attacks, i feel dizzy. Could anxiety be the cause of dizzy spells.

Thank you.
1 Comment
Blank
LVH can be caused by many things, but the most common cause is uncontrolled blood pressure over a period of years.  Weight lifting by itself would not cause LVH at all, but very well conditioned athletes who usually do lots of aerobic exercise will often has a more muscular heart that can show up as LVH on an echo or EKG.  
There are many different types of home blood pressure monitors, and unfortunately, not all of them are accurate.  The best thing to do would be to bring your home blood pressure cuff into your next doctor's visit so they can compare at the same time.
Mild LVH is indicative that your heart may be starting to undergo changes (thickening heart muscle) to handle the extra strain of beating against a high blood pressure.  As long as you get your blood pressure under control, then you should not have to worry.  If LVH worsens overtime, it can eventually lead to left ventricular dilation and heart failure (something you definitely want to avoid).  That process, however, takes many years to occur and as long as you start treating your blood pressure now, it shouldn't become a problem!
You should definitely not stop going to the gym unless you are having difficulty with exercising (shortness of breath, chest pain, etc).  Exercise is a very important component to maintaining good cardiovascular health.
Anxiety can certainly be a cause of dizzy spells.  Sometimes patients with thickened hearts have other processes going on where blood flow is reduced with exercise/stress/etc (if your echo was normal, you do not have those things!).  
Hope that helps.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979