Heart Disease Expert Forum
Labile Hypertension

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Labile Hypertension

I have recently been diagnosed with severe hypertension which is labile (60/40 - 235/149).  This was done with a 24 hr BP monitor.  I have had several weeks now of feeling dizzy, palpitations, headaches, short of breath chest pain, tingling hands, tiredness and being unbalanced (towards the left side mainly).  It all came to a head when I had a severe dizzy spell lasting 30 minutes which was not relieved by lying flat.

Had an echo and have pulmonary & aortic murmur with mild mitral regurg.  I understand that this is not significant and should not cause me symptoms.  I am worried about the hypertension and what is causing it.  I am on an ACE inhibitor now and following a negative VMA test he is happy that I have severe hypertension and will just treat it.

I can't help feeling that my symptoms should be shifting now if that's all it is.  I've been on the meds for 2 weeks and although the palpatations have gone, the headaches ( which ranges from a pressure to shapr temporal pain) and unbalanced feeling remain with the odd episode of fine tremors.

Should I battle on for further tests or just accept that it's labile hypertension?
I'm female, 46 yrs old and usually very fit and active.
You should have more testing.  I would recommend checking a kidney ultrasound to make sure there is renal artery stenosis.  Also, you should have some basic lab work (which I am sure was done), more advance blood work such as renin and aldosterone levels, and a good exam to make sure there isn't aortic coarctation.  The latter one is unusual, but it is also unusual for a young female such as yourself to have severe HTN.  
Incidently, I have a small painless lump on the right mid-clavicular line just above clavical.  It has been there since before Christmas but does not seem to have grown. My Dr is not concerned about it but it has not been thoroughly checked out. I'm starting to wonder about it though!

Also, should I go down the neurological route and push for a CT head due to the balance, feeling slow and headache issues?

Seeing Dr tomorrow for general chat so any suggestions (as above) would be welcome.