Lasix Therapy & Complications
To make a long story as short as possible, a few weeks ago I was showing extreme symptoms of CHF; ankle swelling, shortness of breath, wheezing, abdomen swelling, & diagnosed with severe pulmonary hypertension, 88mm!  I had been on 40 mg of lasix once a day since my 3rd Open-Heart surgery last year in March/2006 for an aortic valve re-replacement.  (I had my first two Open-Heart surgeries in 1975 & had both the mitral & aortic valve implants with mechanical valves).  Last year when they replaced the aortic valve, the mitral valve appeared to be working fine so they decided NOT to replace it.  Now, however, I've been told that it is showing signs of failure & I will have to eventually have it replaced.  For the time being however, doctors increased the lasix to 80 mg daily & the CFH symptoms that I've been experiencing have subsided but I was warned that I COULD NOT be on Lasix for long because it will eventually start "drying up" my heart which will lead to more complications.  Has anyone else been told this and/or does anyone out there know, how long you can safely be on Lasix??  I would appreciate any feedback on this.  Thank you!
njean  
I've been on 40mg Lasix for 4 yrs with no side effects except it raised my cholesterol which doctors do not want to admit to, but I looked it up and a rise in cholesterol is one of the side effects.

Who told you that your heart would dry out if to long on Lasix?  Was it a Cardiologist who said that or a nurse or neither.
I am curious who said that too.........I have been taking 80mg for years......some days 100mg.  I do know they like to keep the valve patients a little "wet", but moderation and balance are the key.  Good luck.
Actually one of the cardiologists in Houston told me that & then the one I have here, concurred.  So then I asked my cardiologist  what symptoms was I suppose to look for when my body had had enough lasix?  He said that my blood pressure readings would start getting out of control.  But, I'm still not convinced on this because I've heard of a lot of people being on lasix therapy for years without side affects of this kind!  I guess that if I'm feeling fine I just won't worry about it & that's that!   Appreciate the feedback!  Take care,
njp