Heart Disease Expert Forum
Leaky pig valve

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Leaky pig valve
My 69 year old mother had AVR with a porcine valve 5 months ago after years of aortic stenosis that gradual progressed, but was remarkably symptom free. The new valve leaks. According to the surgeon, the tissues were so calcifed that it was 'difficult to get a stitch in'. He suggested that a leak such as this is 'not common, but not uncommmon' and should not be a concern. My Mom, an avid golfer, has been slow to recover, fatigues easily and must rest after 10 minute walks. She is gradually getting stronger, so we remain optimistic that it will just take more time, but wonder if the leaky valve will hinder or prevent her recovery.
john,

thanks for the post.

It really is impossible without reviewing her data.  A small amount of leakage can happen after the surgery.  A larger amount would be abnormal and if significant could affect her exercise tolerance.  

If you are unclear you should discuss the amount and data with your cardiologist who could help put the amount of insufficiceny in perspective.

good luck