Heart Disease Community
Left ventrical diastolic dysfunction

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Left ventrical diastolic dysfunction

I asked my cardiologist for the results and diagnosis of 3 tests that were done.  I had a Thallium Stress w/o exercise,
also a Vascular 'doppler' (I think) and an Echocardiogram. The cardiologist just sent me her interpretation of the test, though she did not tell me what her 'interpretation' was of each test.  I thought that this 'interpretation' in her words was
something to be concerned about. "Left ventrical diastolic dysfunction with preload reduction." Could you please tell me what that could mean?
Thank you,
BonnieB69

This discussion is related to EKG test results.
Quote: " "Left ventrical diastolic dysfunction with preload reduction." Could you please tell me what that could mean?"

Preload reduction indicates the left ventricle is not filling (diastolic phase) with oxygenated blood to its normal capacity (preload reduction).  

The underlying problem usually is due to heart wall thickening that is losing some flexibilty and increased size begins to crowd out available space within the chamber.  Often the condition develops as one ages.  

The echo estimates heart wall thickness and chamber size during systole (pumping phase) and systole (filling phase).  Diastolic disfunction can occur with normal systole functionality or without determined by left ventricle EF (normal is 55-75%) and indicates the percentage of blood pumped into circulation with each heartbeat.
I'm going back to your  posting on Feb 26 2009 on diastolic disfuntion. I read  your last para to mean DD is not a worry  so long as the EF is good. My last echocardio gran with dobutamine shows a Phase 2 DD but an EF of 63. ( the same test two years ago showed Phase 1 with an EF of 60) A second opinion from a cardio was that deteriorating to Phase 3 or 4 is the luck of the draw or genes. Medcatiuons such as carvedilol  help, of course. I'm 83 and leaving what's left of my time to Lady Luck is a bit frustrating. I'd be grateful for one of your your knowing comments
I haven't read Ken's post of 2009, but saying that DD is nothing to worry about if the EF was good, would not be a correct statement. Most patients with even severe hypertrophic cardiomyopathy usually have a normal EF%. (between 50 and 70%) . That's the norm for HCM patients because a lowered EF% would indicate systolic disfunction which is where the walls of the heart are too thin; the opposite of HCM where the walls are too thick causing diastolic dysfunction.

To Bonnie,
You need to find out why you have this issue. Do you have high blood pressure? that is the most common cause of diastolic dysfunction. Do you have any family members with this same problem? If this is truely HCM, that is a Primary HCM, that is generally genetic in nature. What is your treatment plan?