Heart Disease Expert Forum
Left ventricle size

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Left ventricle size

I'm a 47 year old female diagnosed in Aug 98 with dilated cardiomyopathy with a EF of 19%.  My LV measured 5.9 and 6.4cm at systolic and diastolic.  I've responded well to meds and 8 weeks later an echo showed an EF of 42% and LV measurement of 5.0 and 6.4cm.  I've continued to improve but haven't had any more tests.  My question is:  How much more can I expect my LV decrease in size and would you consider my prognosis good?  Meds:  Lasix, KCL, digoxin, vasotec, coreg (12.5 twice a day).  I also experience a tremendous number of PVCs.  Thank you, Linda

Dear Linda, thank you for your question.  The key thing to monitor is the response in your symptoms to the treatment that's been instituted.  Your LV size may not decrease much more, but your ejection fraction did increase which is encouraging.  Likewise, your symptoms have improved which is also encouraging. The key aspect to monitor is your symptoms and not your LV size.   I think your prognosis at this point is good, but only your physician can accurately assess your prognosis.  However, you will need to stay on these medications indefinitely.  If you are having frequent PVC's, then make sure that your physician is aware of this problem.   The coreg may help to suppress PVC's.  
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. Please feel free to write back with additional questions.  Good luck.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.   The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

A related discussion, Heart Size was started.