Heart Disease Community
Leg pain after heart bypass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Leg pain after heart bypass

My husband had quintuple heart bypass surgery one year ago today. He is experiencing increasing amount of pain in his left leg where a vein was removed. He describes it as a squeezing pain below the knee; like his leg will be squeezed in half at times. Doctors don't seem to be able to find the cause, indicating that it may be nerve damage. Pain management medications don't always seem to ease the pain either. Anyone else experiencing this or does anyone have any insight?
Thanks!
Did anyone respond to your question about leg pain after heart surgery?  My mom is going through the same thing and I'm trying to find some answers.  Thanks.
My mom is experiencing the same thing after open heart surgery.  She has seen five doctors and they all say she has a pinched nerve in her back that is causing the pain.  Mind you,  she never had this pain before the open heart surgery, but she has the same back that she had prior to the surgery.  They all want to do surgery,, but she is 78 years old ad a diabetic.  I am not so sure that the back is the culprit.

Does anyone have a suggestion?
I had triple bypass 2 1/2 years ago..my leg hurts sometimes so bad it awakens me from my sleep.  My PCP says it is arthiritis....it is just below and behind the knee where I had veins removed.....I truly believe it is nerve damage ....
I had open heart surgery 1 1/2 years ago. I have leg and foot pain. From the middle of my foot to my heel. I wakes me up at night. I can't put weight on heel. I limp when I walk. No one can tell me why. Yes it is the foot and leg that they took the veins from also. If anyone knows what I can do for it please tell me.
I had a double bypass 1 yr ago and they cut both my legs. My doctor put me on Lyrica 100mg 3x aday. It stops the burning and helps the pain. I can sleep at night. It does make me a little luppie at times but its better than the pain.
I had a quid three years ago and I am experiencing a bad burning on the side of my left knee. It awakens me from a sound sleep and I have a hard time walking or standing still for a long period of time without it burning. I guess it is nerve damage. I have been told that it happens when they pull the vein out like they do. I sure paid enough for the surgery, looks like they could have been somewhat more carefull
Re having leg and foot pain after hear transplant
Yes, I am exercising and by lower legs and feet are still very sore
I has been about 4 years after I had my heart transplant
I will keep exercising and am hoping it diminishes and at the best I hope is goes away but this is probably not going to happen
I told my doctor's about this and they don't do anything
It is frustrating
I'm wondering in anyone else is having problems like this and
more importantly what they recommend doing about it
Send me all your comments
Thank You
Terry Sanchez
Did you have veins harvested from the leg in question?
Im 76 and have a similar problem with the leg they took the vein from and it's been 6 years since my triple bypass.  The heart doctor just said my circulation was less than it should be in my legs but offered no solution or medication for the pain.  I think the pain comes from my lower back. I never had back problems or leg pain before this surgery.   I did find that a muscle relaxant like valium worked to stop the nerve pain at night and allowed me to sleep.  But like anything else simple that works, after 9 months my primary doctor refused to refill my prescription.  

I only took one-half of a 5 mg tablet a night so I don't know why he kept trying to prescribe meds that were stronger and had bad side effects but he did and I refuse to take a med that once I start it I can't stop taking it. Now I just live with the pain. If you find a doctor that will treat your pain you will be very lucky and very blessed.
I'm suffering pain in both my legs & feet right now, not just the leg they took the veins from.  I had a triple bypass six months ago.  I'm type 11 diabetic.  I have since developed diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage) in the soles of my feet.  I also have horrendous stabbing pain in my feet & legs.  I take morphine and Gabapentin (similar to Lyrica) but nothing relieves the pain.  I'm on a quest to find the cause of the pain ... where it be nerve damage (which is my guess) or anything else.

If anyone knows the cause can you please post here?  Thanks ... from all of us.
Some doctors don't know how to diagnose some things so they blame it on back problems or .... ?  Keep searching for a cause.  It could be nerve damage.
Have you tried Lyrica or Gabapentin? They are good meds to take for the pain of nerve damage.  I'm type 2 diabetic and after a triple bypass I developed diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage on the soles of my feet, then shooting pains in both my feet & legs.  Gabapentin helps somewhat but the dosage needs to be increased.  
Hello
My dad just had a triple bypass and is suffering from the same excrutiating pain at the area you have described. He had to go to the ER and they thought it was a blod clot, they did an ultrasound and did not find anything, Thank God! but, the pain still there. They gave him meds for pain, told him to elevate, walk and ice it. None of it seems to be helping.
Were you able to find out why this happens?