Heart Disease Expert Forum
Leg pain after sitting.

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Leg pain after sitting.

I am 48 yrs old, 6'2" and 230lbs.  After riding in a car for extended periods my legs (actually the front of my thighs, quads, and hip area become "all stove up". i.e. I experience pain and a slight weakness. Sometimes I cannot get comfortable while driving because I will get a dull pain in my butt and my legs will begin to hurt.  The pain also manifests itself when I get up from a squating position, from a low seated position & when climbing stairs.  Normal walking and standing does not bother me.  The pain is not debilitating but annoying.  This has been going on for over a year ay least.
Any ideas?
Dear cn,
Although this is a heart forum I do have some thoughts.  It is possible this could be a vascular problem but more likely it is musculoskeletal in nature. Spinal stenosis or neurological involvement is a remote possibility.  It is a good idea for everyone to take breaks and get up and stretch every 1-2 hours when driving or flying for extended periods.  This helps relieve muscular fatigue and also helps prevent blood clots.  Your GP should be able to determine if any additional testing is needed in your case.
I use to get that too, I went to a chiropractor and he straightened out my spine. Someting was getting pinched because of the way I was sitting in the car seat.
It sounds as if you have a form of sciatic nerve which can be tested by what is called a positive leg test. If you are flat on your back, and lift the leg up ( no bending at the knee) you should feel the symptoms. The nerve is very large and runs through the piriformis muscle. If the nerve is irritated, it takes time and driving will only worsen it.
  I have found that there is a natural product that has both an internal and external application worthy. I know the name is Traum-ex. I found it through my research. I believe the site is www.rexall.com/m/health
  You may also want to see a Chiropract. Dr. Mark
Thanks for the quick answers, however everything I have found on sciatica and the sciatic nerve indicates pain down the back of the leg and usually in just one leg.  I really can't do the anatomy of it but the sharp pain is in the front of the leg and seems to be in the muscles jsut to the outside of the leg not the exacet middle.
I wish I could tell you the exact muscle.  I will try and find an anatomy chart of the leg.
Thanks,
Charles