Heart Disease Community
Life expectancy Diagnosed with End Stage CHF,Renal Failure, Ascities

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

My mother had a tripple bypass back in 1999 and I took her for all her follow-up appointments with her cardiology faithfully there after, every six months. On each of those visits we were told that all her labs and test (U/S, Nuclear Stress Test) were find.  My mother begin retainning fluid in her ankles/legs and having some shortness of breath back 08/2011 and was admitted to the hosital, where they did IV dierectics and the fluid retention was resolve. She was told that she need to cut out the salt from her diet and take in less fluids. My mother's diet was no salt since her last bypass surgery since 1999 and this was told to her cardiology at the time of discharge and I ask him if there was something else that could cause this fluid build up. His answer was no, it's the salt and fluid intake and also the it could possibly be the high tempertures we were having. November 2011 my mother was admitted once again for fluid retention and severe shortness of breath with erertion. Once again the cardiologist was call in and his response was the same as before.  At that time I ask him if he could do a right side Heart Cath and his response was the same " Heart is fine and she didn't need a Heart Cath done and that she need to make sure she retain from salty foods, foods that consist of water and try to stay of the heat and was discharged with still some fluid build up.  So, I decided to get a second opinion in March 2012, cause she was still having the same problems and all the cardiologist was doing was increasing her diurectics on each visit. We was told by the second opinion doctor that she had a Mitro Valve Leakage for about 1-2 yrs, that had been missed, after reviewing her records from her previous cardiologist, which cause her to go into End Stage Rt sided CHF, Ascities which cause End Stage Renal Failure and that we had missed the window-span for surgery because her heart was to critical. They can't do temporary dialysis to purge excess fluids because of her low normal blood pressures and extremely elevated pulmonary artery pressure and if they did she probally would die on dialysis. I ask about doing a Paracentesis and I was told that it would only be a little comfort for about 1-2 days and then the fuild will build up again because her urine output was poor. So she was discharged home with very grave prognosis, no medications and was told she can eat and drink whatever she want, Basically "Saying Just Go Home And Die".  I ask what time frame of life expectancy we were looking at and all I was told was not long and today make 5 weeks since she was discharged from the hospital. Believe me, I know that no one knows the exact day or hour.  But, I just want to know some kind of time frame because I need to inform my job of how much time I will need off or work out a schedule to work from home, try to set up some home care to sit with my mother and also some legal things. But, most of all, I would like to know is there anything else I could do medically to help my mother get better,  If not, could someone PLEASE help me with a life expectancy time frame for mother. The diagnosis she was sent home with is:  1.) Acute renal failure 2nd to prerenal azotemia plus component of cor pulmonale 2.) Acute respiratory failure 2nd to cor pulmonale 3.) Rght ventricular failure 4.) Encephalopathy likely uremic as well as hepatic 5.) Hypertension.  Again, PLEASE if someone can help me, I would be so thankful!!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.
But it is difficult to tell the exact time frame. This will depend on her vital functions, like pulse rate, blood pressure. O2 sat and her urine output. As the organs fail, these functions will deteriorate.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.