Heart Disease Community
Lifespan after angioplasty

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Lifespan after angioplasty

I had a very slight feeling of the presence of my heart, scarcely even discomfort, recently which my doctor treated with medication and swiftly totally disappeared. However I hade an ECG (treadmill) and the surgeon said I needed an angiogam which was done and I was told I had considerable narrowing of 2 arteries and I needed 2 angioplasties, probably done the same day. Normlly my health has been v good and my weight is in the ideal range - however I recently had some emotional and indecision probloems since I retired just under 2 years ago - I am 66 years and did suffer some depression recently (never previously) for which the doctor has proscribed Citalopram 10 mg per day now Citalopram 20 mg per day. Assuming I agree to this, what is my likely lifespan after angioplasty - no related problems or ever stroke etc.
You can reach a normal life span by reducing the underlying cause for the occlusion such as proper diet, exercise, life style, keep blood pressure under control, etc.  Angioplasty stent implant will not per se decrease your life span.

Depression is itself considered a risk factor for some diseases, and physical ailments such as headaches, high blood pressure,  digestive disorders and chronic pain are often associated with depression...but how depression affects the body is still not well understood.  Hope this helps
Heart rate is controlled by the autonomic nervous system which we cannot directly control. When we are depressed, heart rate variability is not controlled properly it is actually decreased. This means when we exercise etc, the heart will not adapt to the situation as it should and poses a risk of irregular hearbeats and in extreme cases this can cause sudden death. When the depression ends, the heart begins to behave correctly. Although this has been shown through research, the actual reasons behind it are still unclear. Of course the other side of the coin is stress. We have to try and find the mid point for a long healthy life.
If I were you I would have a person close and trusted to you guide you in this decision. The stress and depression you are experincing is not helping make this important decision. I'm surprised that you had an angiogram and not given the choice before the procedure for a doctor to stent what is saw as significant narrowing of vessels....if I understand correctly what you wrote. You are very likely to experience continuing problems and as a woman you present differently then a man with cardiac signs and symptoms.Your lack of typical cardiac complaints does not mean that there isn't something going in your heart and it will likely continue even with aggressive lifestyle and dietary changes. Why risk more possibility of heart problems with the evidence presented to you? You're only 66. Don't let heart disease further impact your quality of life. Heart disease in women is the number one cause of death. I wish you the best; don't linger long getting this corrected. Joan.