Heart Disease Community
Lightheaded, slow heart rate, should I be worried

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

I am a 19 year old male, very athletic and exercise often, usually in mornings, consisting of weight lifting and cardio.

Recently, I've had this strange feeling of being lightheaded. It is not present in the morning when I wake up, when I exercise or through most of the earlier part of the day. Usually starts happening later in the day and it's only when I'm at rest. Sitting down, and even more concerning, when I go to bed at night. When I'm up and moving around, I'm fine.

I know that I have blood pressure slightly below normal and a heart rate at just 40 bpm, though I have heard that is normal for athletes.

I also feel like most places I've looked that people usually get light headed when standing up. I'm just the opposite. I have no history of heart problems, neither does my family. I'm not on any medications. I sleep right, eat right and don't do anything out of the ordinary (dont smoke or drink).

What could be causing this. Should I be concerned about my heart possibly having problems? How about my brain? This is very worrisome and I get so afraid when it's time to go to bed. Please help. Thank you very much.

-d
Have you talked to your doctor about all of this? A slow heart rate in an athlet is normal. A heart rate of 40 seems to be a bit too low, even for an active person. If your heart rate is too low when you are up and walking around, that's one thing; if it's too low at night, you may have a problem. Ask your doctor to have a Holter monitor put on so that they can see what your rates are during the night. I don't think this is a problem with your brain.
i have just had a baby hes 5 weeks old now and i have the exact same symptoms as urself , before i was preg my heart rate was nromal around 60-100 beats and through pregnancy i had trouble with it being so high 110+ and now i have had him im sitting at 42 neats per min so u can imagine how scared i am of going to bed aswell, i was so use to that fast heart beat that this rate it seems to be nearer stopping. ive been having headaches too although i cant determine wether its the broken nights and lack of sleep or the stress of adjusting to motherhood with my other kids too...either way im going out my mind with paranoia that i might be on the brink of a heart attack or sudden death and the fact my horomones are still playing up its not doing me any good for my nervs...im a nervous wreck.
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
SUNRIYZMT is ...freakin out waiting o... Comment
May 28
Infowars commented on The Turbinates: What ...
May 28
suzukijax added the Blood Pressure Tracker
May 27