Aa
A
A
Close
Lipitor for raising HDL
Recently my doctor prescribed Lipitor for raising my HDL as it's been consistently a few points below the norm in the last few blood tests, my LDL has stayed around 117 and my total cholesterol has stayed around 170.  I could be in better shape, I'm 5'11" and recently added a few pounds , now 200 lbs. A1C has been 1 point over the high range, all else is normal, I can run 2 miles in less than 18 minutes and don't smoke or drink.  Is this the right medicine for raising HDL and am I really a candidate for this serious drug?
Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
976897 tn?1379171202
Strange, when I convert 117 mg/dl (USA) to mmol/L in UK system I get 3.
3 mmol/L is fantastic. If your LDL is this level WITHOUT statins, then I wouldn't take them.
My HDL doesn't rise with statins, but my LDL drops which makes the ratio look better. Exercise is good for raising HDL, but your levels look fine. I would question this with your Doctor because you don't want your LDL so low that you end up with psychological issues such as loss of memory.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Thanks for reply however not quite, it's 6.5 (divide by 18),
still the question is, why should this be used for HDL particularly if, apparently, you have to take it the rest of your life?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
976897 tn?1379171202
"however not quite, it's 6.5 "

nope, it's definitely 3.0

You divide by 18 to convert glucose. LDL is a fatty acid lipoprotein and you divide by

3x39 = 117

So, I still believe you don't need statins if your levels were that low without medication.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Yes ed34 you're completely right, 39 for LDL and a value of 3 in UK .  By the way, as I had just started (first day) and had a bad but not severe reaction, - completely knocked out, tired all day among other side-effects I don't think I'm a good candidate for this drug.  There must be another way or medication that can raise HDL.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
976897 tn?1379171202
what is the exact measurement of your HDL ?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1318997813
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1440481484
Blank
Netherlands
144586 tn?1284669764