Heart Disease Expert Forum
Long QT interval

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Long QT interval

I read that the October 1998 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine published an article regarding a new blood test for genetic risk factors relating to long qt interval.  Two of my sons have LQTS, diagnosed about 20 years ago.  Both are now expectant fathers and I have been trying to find all I can on current research.  I can not find anything about this blood test other than the one obscure reference.  Does anyone know if this test has been approved, what it actually does, and who does the test?
Dear Donna,

This test is done experimentally to track families.  You may wish to check with the national institutes of health to see if they have any registries for LQTS. If you require more information you may wish to call Dr. Bruce Wilkoff here at the Cleveland Clinic for more details.

What is LQTS??  Is this related to PVC's??

Christy
Dear Christy,

Long Q T syndrome (LQTS) is not related to PVC's
In April (?) 1998, ABC national news did a story on Long QT Syndrome (Dr. Nancy Snyderman).    There is a cardiologist at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City who has a started a website - www.sads.org (stands for sudden arrhythmia death syndrome). He also is championing a way to simply look at an EKG to determine Long QT.  Although you indicated that you are interested in genetic testing, I thought this website may have something helpful for your sons in it as it includes lists of medications that lengthen the QT interval, etc.  Hope this helps.
Dear Robin,

thank you for the information.
Should I insist upon seeing a heart specialist?
I'm new to my state and, of course, new to current doctor.
Experienced:  
Severe chest pains, shortness of breath, heart felt like it would beat out of chest, pain in neck and jaw, legs ached badly and felt as if no circulation was getting to them, felt as if I would pass out.

Doctor visit days later:
Blood Pressure 160/110
Height:5'4"  Weight: 136  Age:  35, Female
EKG:  inverted T-waves
Doctor said, see you in one week.

Family history:
Father:  heart attack at 34, died at 60 of heart attack
Grandfather:  died of heart attack at 48
ALL aunts and uncles on father's side have heart disease

I'm not comfortable with the fact that I was sent home with no medication or idea as to how to "take care of myself" until the next visit.  Should I insist upon a specialist?
June
I would recommend seeing your internist first and if no success would ask for a referal to a cardiologist.