Heart Disease Expert Forum
Long Term Plavix Side Effects?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Long Term Plavix Side Effects?

Because of a severe aspirin allergy, after an M.I., my cardiologist put me on 75mg of Plavix daily.

After six month's on it, I don't notice any side effects, other than It takes longer for a wound to stop bleeding.

It seems to me that nature might have a reason for platelet aggregation, other than just to stop a wound from bleeding.

Are there long term side effects or dangers from using Plavix?  Because it's a relatively new drug, does anyonne really know what the effect of many years of continued use will have?

Can a drug like this be taken every second or third day, rather than daily, and still maintain it's effect?

Thanks In Advance For Your Help.
The platelets main role in life is to stop bleeding -which from nature's standpoint is a very important thing.  However, the prevention of heart attacks is probably more pertainant to the 21st century.  As you said Plavix is still an new drug so there is no information past several years of use.  I've never heard of anyone dosing it on alternative days although that is sometimes done with aspirin.
I have exercise induced pulmonary hypertension.(APLS-multiple clots) Recently I've been having alot of 'sinus tachycardia' with an increase in chest discomfort(heavy feeling).How concerned ought I be?
I recently turned on the TV on the end of a news broadcast,there was an alert about mixing "Plavix" with Ginkco biloba. Can you comment on this?
I`ve been on Plavix now for over a year . Today 4/21/00 I heard you can get Blood clots from this Medician is this true?Do i have to be concern.
ABC Pittsburgh carried a story on 4-21-00 about Plavix causing blood clots. I have been taking this drug for about 1 week.Any info you can give me would be greatly appriciated.
My dad has been taking plavix for over one year.  Recently there has been mention of severe side effects related to this drug.  Any information about this. He has been experiencing dizziness which causes him to lose his balance.  As a result of this he doesn't go out of the house much. He has been told this sx is because of a different problem.  Thank you, Barb
I am curious about your experience with perioperative bleeding complications and need for blood product transfusion in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting after receiving plavix or ticlid. Thanks.
Ihave a friend who has been on plavix for over a year. She has a history of tia's and is allergic to aspirin. IIs this the drug of choice for her?
               thank you
                       p. schmook
Is Plaavix a dangerous drug?  How long can you take it safely.
I recently heard that Plavix can effect the bone marrow...true or false and if true how?
Thanks,
Judy Moore
I fail to see the physiological reason for wanting to alter
the normal logic in using this drug to interfere with what
seems to me to be an immune system demand of the
body itself.  Kinda like trying to cut off a fire hydrant
to prevent a fire, isn't it?
***@****
A newspaper article several months ago noted that researchers had tracked down 11 rare and possibly fatal cases of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura among 3 million patients who received Plavix since its introduction in 1998.  I have seen nothing about this since the newspaper article.  What is the current thinking about taking Plavix?
My Dad (82 yrs old)is on Plavix daily.
He refuses to take Plavix because it causes stomach upset and diarrhoea. Aspirin also gave him the same side effect. Please advise if there is an alternative. Thanks.
If you can track down the June 15, 2000 issue of New England Journal of Medicine, they have an article on the 11 cases of TTP in Plavix and their outcomes.
I have been taking plavix for over a year now starting just prior to have a quadruple by-pass.  Approx a month ago I began having a very hard time breathing and my platelets began dropping.  I have been off plavix for 3 weeks now trying to see if this is the reason for the drop in platelets.  As of today, they are 13-extremely low and an now receiving blood transfusions.  Please let me know if this is due to the plavix?
I am going to have a cornial transplant in the next couple of weeks. Should I quit the Plavix or will it not have any effect on the operation?
Thanks for your answer in advance.
I am being treated for emphysema and recently a TIA. My doctor has me on 20 mg Celexa, 20 mg Aciphex & 75 mg Plavix daily. I take all three at one time every morning and shortly thereafter I have a headache. Could one of these cause this problem?
Thank you in advance for your help.
My Dad's 82. He's been on Plavix daily for about 3 years. (Since an angioplasty/drug infused stent implant) Anyway, right now he is in the hospital due to bleeding in his abdominal wall/muscle. He's had some sort of chest infection for the last 3 weeks and has been coughing up a storm. All this coughing has caused blood vessels in said muscle to burst, leaving him in pain. Additionally, he has a huge black and blue mark across his abdomen.  Over time he has developed many black and blue marks on his legs and arms. The surgical team at the hospital has taken him off Plavix and is infusing him with blood and fluids. This is not life threatening, but I do think it points to some of the hazards of using a powerful drug like this for a very extended time. I'm sure Big Pharma has all sorts of B.S. they throw at the Cardiologists, saying this is a great treatment plan. All I've got to say is thank god he was not in a car wreck. I would imagine the bleeding would have been difficult to stop.
A related discussion, plavix helping my migraines was started.
A related discussion, Plavix was started.
A related discussion, Plavix after bypass surgery ? was started.
A related discussion, LONG TERM USE OF PLAVIX was started.