Heart Disease Expert Forum
Long stent & Effient duration ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Long stent & Effient duration ?

during place of a 22mm stent in my RCA there was a tear on one end an so a short stent of approx 10 mm was placed next to the first.  These are Xience V drug elluting stents.

Due to the long effective stent length of over 3 cm I am concerned about the length of time it will take the endothelial layer to grow back and the possible need to stay on effient for several years instead of the standard 1 year.   the 22 mm stent covers a long hard thick lesion so it is my understanding that endothelial cells will have to grow from the two ends of the approx  3 cm run and that it will take quite a long time and with some uncertainty before the struts are covered and the risk of blockage is diminished.  

Is there enough experience with long stents (or back to back stents) which would allow you to comment on the suggested duration of effient usage and the added increased likelihood of complications?  

thank you
Many patients require either long stents or multiple side by side stents as you describe.  There is no definite recommendation for the duration of anti platelet therapy in such cases and this decision is usually left to the discretion of your interventionalist because each case is different and the risk/benefit of long term treatment must be determined.  For any drug eluting stent, one year is the minimum time for dual anti platelet therapy but again your physician may want you to take it longer depending on your individual situation.