Long term prognosis for aortic valve replacement
I am a 38 year old male with moderate to severe aortic valve regurgitation, thickened intervventricular septum, slighlty enlarged heart and slightly enlarged aorta.  I was found to have a murmur at age 20 in a routine check-up and it had been mild until age 35.  To my surprise, it became 2+ - 3+ on an echocardiogram 3 weeks ago.

My cardiologist is certain that I shall need aortic valve replacement but either did not know or did not want to answer my question on long-term prognosis.  

Does anyone know what things look like in the long-term?  Does anyone know what long-term statistics say?  Do people with my age and condition tend to die from this and if so, how long?  

All the readings that are upbeat cite prognosis for 5 to 10 years.  I have a very young year old child with generalized abnormalities and it scares me that I will not be around for him.