Heart Disease Expert Forum
Lots of PVS and PACS and on Flecinide

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Lots of PVS and PACS and on Flecinide

I use to suffer from what I call cronic (chronic) PVCS and some PACS which were identified by my Electrophsoligest here in my hometown. They were so bad that we had to surpress them because of my quaility of life was going down fast. I started the flecinide at home and was prescribed 50mg at night and 100mg in the afternoon. Shortly after I started taking it I had my life back. Two years of PVC free it was great. Now they have came back and have really scared me. The medicine seems to have stopped working or something? My question is because I have a normal heart all the test have been done and no problems have been found how can the Flecinid stop working and is there anything that can be done other than the ablation? Also wanted to see if there is any reasearch or knowledge of flecinide and it not working after two years. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
In most cases, PVCs are benign. However, in a subset of patients such as yourself they can cause significant symptoms and can even be associated with causing heart failure. Flecainide and beta blockers are typically first line agents. When these agents are not working as well there are several options available. The best depends on the individual patient preference. A dosage increase of the flecainide, switching to another agent such as sotalol, or ablation are typically the next steps. Ablation of PVCs in the right hands is both a very safe and effective treatment option that has very high success rates.