Heart Disease Expert Forum
Low Dose Vs. Full Dose Aspirin
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Low Dose Vs. Full Dose Aspirin

For afib and a clogged artery, I am on low doses of metoprolol and statins. I am also on 81 mg baby aspirin. I have read on this forum where full dose or 325 mg. aspirin is often mentioned. Should I be on the full dose daily aspirin? Is it really 4x more effective? If there is concern of the full dose irritating the stomach linings, would you recommend alternating between the two on different days?

Thank you for your time.
Related Discussions
242508_tn?1287427246
Any aspirin therapy is better then none, as per the current recommendations.  Personally, I think, that in patients, who can tolerate a full dose aspirin, especially, in the setting of atrial fibrillation, it is probably better to take a full dose than a baby aspirin.  But the benefits aren't fourfold.  I would try full dose ASA with food, and as long as it doesn't bother you, continue.  If you develop some acid reflux or heart burn symptoms, switch to a baby ASA.  You could also try enteric coated ASA.  I think that alternating is probably too cumbersome and I am not sure that it is worth the benefits.      
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity