Heart Disease Community
Low Ejection Fraction from Stress MPI

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Low Ejection Fraction from Stress MPI

I just had a Stress MPI test and they found that my Ejection Fraction is 39%.  Something about my Left Ventricle Wall having an abnormality.  What does this mean?
Thanks for sharing. The ejection fraction is the percentage of blood pumped into circulation with each heart beat.  Normal is 55-75%.  The left ventricle wall (pumping chamber) squeezes against the wall separating left and right chambers to pump oxygenated blood into circulation.  If the chamber wall has an impairment to the heart muscle, there is less of an ability to pump effectively and the EF will be lower.  When the EF falls below 29%, that usually indicates the amount of blood pumped is not enough to meet the system's demand and considered heart failure range.

Before you ask the EF can be increased depending on the underly cause for heart wall impairment.