Heart Disease Expert Forum
Low Energy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Low Energy

For approximately two months I've been feeling very poorly, most of my time is laying around the house.

My symptoms include: headaches, fluctuating blood pressure and heart rate, poor sleep, short of breath, pain in left upper chest and arm, palpitations, no energy, and easily fatigued.  My blood pressure is frequently high when I wake in the morning (about 7 A.M.).  In a resting state during the day my systolic blood pressure fluctuate from 120/80 to 150/97 the and heart rate will range from 77 to 122.

My general physician admits that he doesn't know what is going on, he has performed a number of blood tests, EKG, and chest xrays.  He is reluctant to put me on blood pressure medicine.  Until a couple of months ago my blood pressure was low-normal, 100/70 and heart rate in the 70's.  My family history is poor for hypertension and heart problems.  The GP has informed me that I do have an irregular pulse.

My general physician put me on 10 mg of Prozac, then increased it to 20 mg, and most recently to 20 mg/ 40 mg every other day.  He also prescribed Ultram 100 mg at bed time.  The Prozac has appeared to relieve the chest and arm pain.

I'm very reluctant about taking the Prozac and Ultram.  I would like to find out what is going on rather than treating (masking) symptoms.

Do you have any suggestions?
I too must admit I don't know what is going on.  However, if the medications are helping I would probably keep taking them.  Good luck.
have you been checked for mitral valve prolapse? it can cause al of the symptoms you describe.
I also have a concern related to one posted by Peter with respect to acid reflux and arrythmia, and to this one about lo energy.  I have been treated for GERD for about 4 -5 years, and am recently on Prevacid, again, which I find far more helpful than small meals, dietary restrictions, and not eating within four hours of bedtime.  I too, experience occasional rapid heart rate, palpitations, which subside within a minute, and they seem to be correlated with a sensation of stomach fullness and swallowing.  I also have been very tired and with low energy, despite treatment with Paxil for depression.  I also have a hx of heart murmur as child and young adult, though none of my doctors since adulthood has ever mentioned that I have a murmur.
I have also noticed that reflux symptoms are worse duing pre-menstrual phase of cycle. I am 50, and there is a strong family hx of heart disease in my father, his siblings, and in my mother's siblings.  I am concerned I won't be able to distinguish a pending heart attack from the usual reflux and related problems.