Heart Disease Expert Forum
Low HDL

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Low HDL

My blood work show that my HDL is 27, LDL is 116 and total cholesterol is 179.  My doctor said to retest in 6 months.  He thought adding exercise and drinking some red wine will increase my HDL.  I know that genetics may play a part in the low HDL since my Mom died at 47 from a massive heart attack.  I started taking Cholestyramine about a month ago.  I had gallbladder surgery 8 years ago and am trying this medicine as a bile binder.  Do you have any ideas on how I can increase the HDL without going off the Cholestyramine?  
Thanks for listening.  I'll take any suggestions.

Cheryl
Dear Cheryl,

A low HDL is an independent risk factor for developing heart problems particularly given your family history.  A better drug would be Niacin in addition to the diet, exercise and half a glass of red wine.  Discuss this option with your doctor.
Thank you for your comments.  I have discussed Niacin with my doctor and he would like to wait.  I have stopped taking the Cholestyramine also.  I would like to ask your opinion on total cholesterol/HDL rate please.  My blood test had a footnote concerning this.  It read "Cholesterol/HDL ration is 6.52, this range represents the 75th percentile for the specified age and gender of this patient.  The higher the value, the higher the risk for CHD."  I take this as a RED flag of some kind, but my doctor seems unconcerned.  Thanks again for helping.
What is better...having a low HDL(34) or high LDL(131)?John
Neither.  There're both bad.  An optimal HDL is >35 and LDL <130.
Since you didn't answer my question I suppose it wasn't a red flag after all.  Thanks anyway.
Cheryl - the ratio is not as important as the absolute value.
I've been fighting this for a year now. My dad died from a heart attack at 47. Mom is still alive (68).  My hdl is 22-27 . My ldl around 70.  I am taking Lipitor to reduce my cholesterol counts to make an acceptable ratio to my hdl.  Tried taking Niaspan and it worked for a short while,(raised my hdl to 32) but then liver readings started to rise. Been on the exercise and diet routine for over a year now. Any suggestions?
My husband just had a physical, and his cholestral count came back as hdl 25, ldl 125. Our physician recommends that he drink a glass of red wine a day, and have a recheck in 2 months. My husband also suffers from frequent diaherrhea(? spelling). Could this be a contributing factor to the low hdl count..i.e. the intestines being unable to absorb nutrients because of the diarhea (diarrhea)? Also, he really hates the taste of wine. Would red grape juice be an acceptable alternative, and why can't he just eat a lot of red grapes?
What ratio of HDL TO LDL should one strive for?  Besides exercise and red wine, what seem to lower the HDL.
  What about LOW cholesterol? My total was 125, HDL=34, LDL=75. I'm a vegan but eat lots of nutritional yeast for B vitamins (including b12) and take EFAs as well. I have been experiencing various neurological symptoms and my doctors suggest I start eating eggs to boost cholesterol (especially HDL) so my body can synthesize the neurotransmitters it needs. Is there an alternative to animal foods to get my HDL up? Thanks
I periodically take my Cholesterol test. This week my cholesterol was l65.  Few months ago it was 190. Too much excises reduces the cholesterol? Please advice. Thank you.
I have just received an evaluation of my lab work as it concerns my cholesteral levels. I am researching for information in an effort to understand what the numbers mean in relationship to my health. My HDL is 80. My lady doctor says that this number is very good, the optimal range is 70-95. In addition, my overall cholesteral is 261. This concerns my doctor. The upshot is that i should reduce my red meat intake and increase exercise, although i already exercise more than moderately. How do you interpert these numbers? thank you
I also suffer from low HDL. I read an artical that a Flax Seed Oil supplament can help you increase HDL.  Is this true?