Heart Disease Expert Forum
Low Heart Beat

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Low Heart Beat

Upon arising I have a heart beat of 60 and feel a little heady.  After breakfast, with one cup of coffee and a piece of bread with jelly, my heart rate climbs, within an hour, to 70.  I didn't used to feel dizzy upon arising. I'm a 70-yr.-old male, healthy and active, play tennis, no medications.  I've recently been diagnosed with low platelet count (110,000).  What are the possible diagnoses?  Is low blood sugar one?
Dear Daniel

Probably, your symptoms are not due to low blood sugar or low platelet counts. It is not uncommon for older individuals to feel a little lightheaded on first arising, especially if they go from a flat to a standing position very quickly. It takes longer for the blood pressure and heart rate to respond to changes in position as we age. The solution for this is to just get up slowly and in stages; go from lying to sitting for a few minutes, then stand up for a couple of minutes, then start walking. However, as this is a new symptom for you, it would be a good idea to report it to your doctor.

I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.

Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.