Heart Disease Expert Forum
Low blood pressure in 66 year old

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Low blood pressure in 66 year old

My 66 year old mother's blood pressure has always been on the low side, but recently it was 95/60.  Is this normal?  She is normal weight and is on no medications except for synthroid (has been for years).  Is there any danger in having low blood pressure at her age (except for postural hypotension, which she doesn't experience)?  Thank you in advance for your response.
  Sincerely,
  J. Kramer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear J. Kramer:
The blood pressure that you mention is normal.  I would not say she has low blood pressure, just normal blood pressure.  This is not a cause for concern.  Many people have always had systolic blood pressures [the top number] in the 90s and diastolic blood pressures [the lower number] in the 50s.  It sounds like your mother is one of those people.  
Because of her age and history of thyroid disease, I would recommend general medical check-ups, but the blood pressure does  not seem to be an issue.  I hope this is the information you were looking for.
If you wish for your mother to be evaluated here at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at desk F15.  Information provided in the Heart Forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be provided by your doctor.