Heart Disease Expert Forum
Low diastolic pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Low diastolic pressure

Need advice please. I am on .25 mg of Lanoxin a day, 25 mg of Atenolol in the am and half a tablet at night. Used for atril fib attack four yrs ago and blood pressure. I keep hearing about pulse pressure or heart pressure and my doctor doesn't seem to think anything about it.

I'm 63, not overweight. My systolic pressure runs between 110-140 depending on ativity and time of day. But my diastolic pressure has been running 50-60, leaving a pulse pressure of about 70-80 most times. Supposedly according to some sources, it should not be more than 40 points difference. It had been a constant 68 pretty well for years on meds. Heart rate had been about 68 also for several years; it's now normally 60-65.

Do I need to be concerned? Not wanting to go to doctor during flu season! Feel fine, a little more sluggish but it's winter!
Thanks so much - the Colonel
Colonel,

Just to start, your diastolic blood pressure is perfectly normal.

Systolic blood pressure is the pressure in the aorta as the ventricle ejects its contents into the aorta.  As the ventricle empties its contents, pressure in the aorta falls, the lowest pressure achieved prior to the next ventricular beat is the diastolic pressure.

The level of the diastolic pressure is determined by a number of facotrs which include the volume of blood that the ventricle ejects, the ability of the aorta to accomodate the volume of blood from the ventricle(called compliance), and the resistance in all of the arteries in the body that the aorta empties into.

The pulse pressure is equal to the systolic pressure minus the diastolic pressure. As we age our arteries stiffen.  In the abscence of any other heart disease, the most likely explanation for your widened pressure would be increased stiffness of your arteries from aging.

If this is the case, your focus should be on stringent blood pressure control, and a regular exercise regimen.

good luck

My systolic pressure is 128-135 but my diastolic pressure seems to be loo low: 60-70
Is this o.k. ?
A related discussion, post op tetralogy of fallot was started.
A related discussion, normal diastolic was started.
A related discussion, continue to have low diastalic BP was started.
A related discussion, blood pressure was started.