Heart Disease Expert Forum
Low-dose Zebeta and surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Low-dose Zebeta and surgery
Im a 23 year old female with mild innappropriate sinus tachycardia that i take 2.5 mg of Zebeta for (half of the 5mg pill a day).  im going to be getting sugery for ovarian cysts iin 3 weeks.  The doctor knows about the zebeta, but didnt tell me about the possible risks with it. he said i could speak to the anesthesiologist the day of the surgery.  im too anxious to wait until then so i must ask now: will 2.5 mg of Zebeta pose as a possible risk during surgery? are there any drugs used during general anesthesia that it may interfer with?  should i stop taking it temporarily (i assume not since i wasnt told to...)  
There are no risks in taking bisoprolol (zebeta) through surgery.  In fact, there are many patients that we recommend beta-blockers for prior to surgery.  We usually just make sure they have been started on the medication at least 1 week before the surgery which you clearly have been on it for awhile which is a good thing.  We just don't want your blood pressure or heart rate to be too low going into surgery.  Ideally your heart rate would be between 60-70 and your blood pressure no lower than 110/60 going into surgery.   There are no drugs given during anesthesia that should interact.  I would not stop taking the bisoprolol because we would not want you to be tachycardic going into surgery.  

Hope this helps.  Good luck!
Thank you so much!  You've helped ease a lot of my anxiety :-)