Heart Disease Expert Forum
Low-dose Zebeta and surgery
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Low-dose Zebeta and surgery
Im a 23 year old female with mild innappropriate sinus tachycardia that i take 2.5 mg of Zebeta for (half of the 5mg pill a day).  im going to be getting sugery for ovarian cysts iin 3 weeks.  The doctor knows about the zebeta, but didnt tell me about the possible risks with it. he said i could speak to the anesthesiologist the day of the surgery.  im too anxious to wait until then so i must ask now: will 2.5 mg of Zebeta pose as a possible risk during surgery? are there any drugs used during general anesthesia that it may interfer with?  should i stop taking it temporarily (i assume not since i wasnt told to...)  
Discussion is closed
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1551954 tn?1294273911
There are no risks in taking bisoprolol (zebeta) through surgery.  In fact, there are many patients that we recommend beta-blockers for prior to surgery.  We usually just make sure they have been started on the medication at least 1 week before the surgery which you clearly have been on it for awhile which is a good thing.  We just don't want your blood pressure or heart rate to be too low going into surgery.  Ideally your heart rate would be between 60-70 and your blood pressure no lower than 110/60 going into surgery.   There are no drugs given during anesthesia that should interact.  I would not stop taking the bisoprolol because we would not want you to be tachycardic going into surgery.  

Hope this helps.  Good luck!
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
Thank you so much!  You've helped ease a lot of my anxiety :-)
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now