Low energy after bypass sugery
Hi all, My dad had bypass surgery 3 weeks ago. He still is sooooo tired, has a "weak voice" (maybe still from the breathing tube?), and is a little depressed. His cardiologist is checking the Hemoglobin level today (my dad needed two units of blood about a week after surgery) to see if a drop in that that might be the reason. Anyone else have any of these experiences post surgery? Has anyone needed a blood transfusion due to low hemoglobin? No other signs of bleeding (although he is on Coumadin). Thanks!
hi, first of all i'm sorry your dad had to go through this. it's an extremely hard surgery. my mom had it done 9 years ago and it can take several weeks to months to feel better. my moms throat was very sore for a long time. maybe he should try a throat spray that the dr. approves of. being depressed after this surgery is common. your body goes through an awful lot. when a person feels so tired and helpless and can't do what they did before they can feel a little epressed. my mom feels great and has a lot of energy but it took her along time to get to that point. tell your dad to hang in there, he will start feeling better soon. i hope this helps some and take care. remar
I had a CABG 7 years ago and the doctor prescribed iron pills for anemia because we all lose blood during surgery. I took the iron and felt better.

As for energy, do you take him for walks? He should be walking at least 3 miles a day now. You need to take him for walks in a shady park every day. Try to go when it's cooler, evening or early morning. Walk as fast as he can, but don't push him. He'll have more energy and feel better too. He needs to go to cardiac rehab also. That will get his tired body going. He'll have a weak voice until he regains his energy. The doc can give him an anti-depressant. That's very normal post bypass.

Since you don't say how old your dad is, I have nothing else to offer but his cardiologist should have recommended the above. It's his first steps to recovery.

Good luck!