Low pulse rate 30-40
My dad is 67 years old and has low pluse rate.   He has diabetic which has been under control.  He execise regularly and in god health.   He has fainted once a couple years ago and doctor recommended to put baterry for his heart.   He has been postponed it for the last 2 year and now doctor is serious about it.   Does he really need this operation?
A low heart rate can cause fainting and a too heart rate can create irregular heartbeats.  I assume it is a pacemakers that you reference.  It is  used to treat heart rhythms that are too slow, fast, or irregular. Pacemakers can relieve some symptoms related to irregular heartbeats. It can help your father who has an abnormal heart rhythm have some assurance of a stable heart rate.
Judy, I have a history of diabetes, plus other heart issues, and fought the idea of a Pacemaker, which kenkeith and I believe you are referencing.  I feel much better, my heart is much healthier since accepting a pacemaker, and am kicking myself for fighting it.  I'm betting the doctor is trying to save your father's life.  I'm also what is called a volunteer Navigator in the cardiac wing of a trauma hospital, and I see how much better people do after getting a pacemaker.  Encourage your father to proceed with confidence, If the doctor is insisting, he must have good reason to do so.  Keep us informed.