Heart Disease Expert Forum
Lowered Body Temperature

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Lowered Body Temperature

I have been monitoring my temperature the past few days because of feeling colder than normal.  I have noticed that is has been around 97.7.  My hands and feet feel colder and I also try to stay warmer.  My Father died of heart problems at 59.. My Mothers father also had a massive heart attack and died at 43.  I'm 38 and try to keep an eye on myself and watch for any symptoms out of the normal.  I do have a high collesteral count and also enjoy rich foods so I'm really asking for problems.  I remember when my Father had heart problems I would touch him amd he felt colder than normal.  Could a lower body temperature be an early sign of possible heart problems/   Thank you, Bill

_
Dear Bill,
The answer is NO, body temperature does not predict likelihood of coronary artery disease.
With that family history and a high cholesterol your risk for coronary artery disease is
significant and it would greatly help for you to seek care at a Prevention clinic where you could be counseled and
treated (if necessary) to reduce that risk.
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for
general purposes only. Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.
Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please
call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at
www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the
cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your
cardiac problem.