MI and unconscious
NTB
what are the odds of a person being unconscious after a heart attack, being on a ventilator, and then coming out of it? I'd think that unconsciousness was a bad sign, correct?
Unconsciousness due to an MI usually implies a cardiac arrest which would imply a period of time where the brain and heart receive no oxygen.  The longer those two organs go without blood/oxygen the greater the chance of tissue death - ie - brain damage and/or heart muscle death.  However, the question is really one of time; I just recently read the case study of a man who was defibrillated within 2 min of a 911 call (his heart had stopped due to MI) and, despite being unconscious upon EMT arrival, left the hospital under his own power 5 days later with a strong outlook for many more good years of life (despite a couple days in coma etc).  The "standard" literature says that people who have arrested for more than 10 minutes have a very small chance of recovery but there are exceptions and, in addition, you didnt mention if the patient you're asking about had to be defibrillated, was already cath-ed (stents? bypass? ejection fraction?) - if the patient was never defibrillated then its possible blood flow never totally stopped.  The Drs should be able to look at the brain acitivity about and also could run an echo to see how much cardiac function has been preserved - those indicators will go a long way towards telling you about future prospects.  Best of luck
Hi, my father-in-law is 67.  He has one stent inserted approx 2000. He is a Type 2 diabetic.  He had a heart attack 5 days ago,  He was given immediate CPR until the ambulance arrived and the paramedics took over 6 mins later.  He has been unconscious since the attack.  He is on on ventilator because he is a minor smoker to stop his lungs filling with fluid. Today the hospital told the family that they have to prepare for the worst and think about what they want to do.  Surely after 5 days this is too soon for the hospital to make such a statement?  Please help as we are in Cyprus and need to know if we should be heading back to the UK now or should we wait a while.  My husband, his son, is working here so you will understand our dilema.