Heart Disease Expert Forum
MITRAL REGURGITATION

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

MITRAL REGURGITATION

I AM A 35YR OLD FEMALE, DUE TO EXTREME DIZZINESS AND SYNCOPE MY DR PERFORMED AN ECHO, I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MITRAL REGURGITATION 1-2+ IN OCT/2001. MY DR PLACED ME ON ZIAC AS MY BP WAS 210/120. SINCE, MY BP IS WITHIN NORM 12O/80 YET I EXPERIENCE EXTREME DIZZINESS WITH VERY MINIMAL EXERTION, SUCH AS WALKING WHILE SHOPPING?? I KNOW THIS IS NOT NORMAL AS I AM OVERWEIGHT AND OUT OF SHAPE BUT I HAVE NEVER HAD DIZZINESS WHILE WALKING BEFORE TO THE POINT OF HAVING TO HOLD ONTO SOMETHING, SHOULD I OBTAIN A 2ND OPINION?  I ALSO WAKE UP AT NIGHT UNABLE TO BREATHE WHILE LYING FLAT AND AM EXPERIENCING A GREAT DEAL OF FACIAL FLUSHING TO THE POINT THAT MAKEUP HARDLY COVERS IT.  HELP!!!??
Dear Wrobin,

You have high blood pressure and have been experiencing dizziness. You describe dizziness and syncope before starting your current medications. It may be reasonable for you to have holter monitor test to see whether or not a rhythm problem is causing your symptoms. The holter monitor records the heart's electrical activity for 24 to 48 hours and allows your doctor to diagnose any rhythm problems that occur during that time. Without knowing more of your history and physical examination I can not speculate on an exact cause. However, I would discuss your symptoms at great length with your doctor.

It seems as though your blood pressure has been controlled and you now have worsening dizziness. Ziac is a combination beta blocker and diuretic(promotes urination). Althogh these medications seem to be controlling your blood pressure, it is possible that the diuretic could make you somewhat dehydrated. This could worsen your symptoms of dizziness. I would discuss this with your doctor.

The breathing difficulty you describe at night may be related to your weight. I would also recommend asking your doctor to test you for sleep apnea. Moderate exercise will help your blood pressure and may improve some of the other symptoms you describe.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE