Heart Disease Expert Forum
M.R.I. after having a stent placed in an artery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Hello, in August 1995, I suffered an anterior wall M.I.. In January 1996 . I was hospitalized and a stent was placed in my L.A.D. . I was advised at the time, that I could not have an M.R.I. . During the month of July 1998, I sustained an injury to my ankle which will require an M.R.I. to properly diagnosis. My question is, is it safe for a patient who has a stent in an artery  to have an M.R.I performed on them, Thankyou in advance, John D.  

Dear John,
Thank you for your question.  A stent is a stainless steel coil inserted into a coronary artery to help hold it open.  Since MRI uses magnetic forces there is a concern that it could dislodge the stent particularly in the first few months.  After the first several months the stent becomes "endothelized" which means it becomes covered over with new cells and there is less probability of the stent moving.  At this time it is usually OK to have an MRI, particularly of a part of the body removed from the stent.  Be sure to check with your doctor before having the MRI for the final answer. Hope this helps.  Feel free to write back with any additional questions.
Information provided here is for general educational purposes only. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and treatments. If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please Call 1 - 800 - CCF - CARE for an appointment at Desk F15 with a cardiologist

A related discussion, MRI for frozen shoulder was started.