Heart Disease Expert Forum
MV Regurgitation

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

MV Regurgitation

I have moderate to severe mitral valve regurgitation. I am currently asymptomatic and the drs are watching me for any signs of change. My questions are: Can this type of problem cause damage to your other organs (ex. kidneys, liver) over time? I often have a nagging pain in my lower right back that can become excruciating at times. I had the IVP and CT scan but no kidney stones. This pain only happens in the middle of the night. Also, what about it causing visual disturbances? I often get these big black spots in my vision field and lose periphial vision. My head aches but not terribly like i would imagine a migraine would. I also have red spots (not a rash) all over my torso. They are about the size of a freckle,some barely visible, some slightly raised, some not.They have increased in number over the past few months. I thought they might be  just old age spots but I'm only 37 (F) and it seems like all this stuff started with diagnosis of mitral valve regurgitation. If it helps at all, the regurgitation is caused by a stretched out mitral annulus that was stretched out by a myxoma. When the time is right, the dr. wants to go in and "cinch it up." Thank you in advance for your response.
I would not expect asymptomatic mitral regurgitation to cause the symptoms that you mentioned. However, myxomas can cause lots of unusual symptoms, including the ones you describe. If you currently have a myxoma, likely it needs to be surgically removed. If that had already been done in the past, you need to be re-evaluated to see if you have a recurrence of myxoma.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Mitral valve regurgitation and visual disturbances was started.