Heart Disease Expert Forum
MVO2 Test

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

MVO2 Test

Posted by Sherrie on April 20, 1999 at 19:41:55
What is an acceptable result on an MVO2 test when being ocnsidered for heart transplant?  I scored a 14 on the test; my ejection fraction is 37.  Two heart attacks within the past seven months with eight stents (6 in the LAD and 2 in the RCA.)  Veins are too small for bypass.  What, exactly, does the MVO2 test show?  Do patients with a higher or lower MVO2 result do better with transplant surgery?  What other tests will be looked at?

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD-APS on April 24, 1999 at 14:31:04
Dear Sherrie,
I am sure that it varies a little from transplant center to transplant center, however I will tell you that a score of 14 or less on the metabolic stress test here at the Cleveland Clinic is the point at which you start thinking seriously about transplant (given of course that the patient scores this on maximal medical therapy.)  The lower the number, the worse the scenario.  The MVO2 is a measure of oxygen consumption, and the lower the number on the metabolic assessment, the worse the body/heart is at getting the blood to the right place for consumption of oxygen (simply put: the lower the number the worse the heart failure.)  
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for
general purposes only.  Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.
Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please
call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at
www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the
cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your
cardiac problem.