Heart Disease Community
MVP, High Blood Pressure, and High cholesterol medication questions
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

MVP, High Blood Pressure, and High cholesterol medication questions

I am a 42 year old women fairly healthy but about 20 lbs over weight.  I excercise regularly and am on a healthy low fat, lo colesterol, low sugar diet that I have abided by for many years.  I have MVP, Hypertension, and high colesterol and fibramyalgia.  I have not been able to control my blood pressure and after several meds that made me ill, I now for the past two months been taking 360mg vermapamil (sp) and that has slowed my average pulse from 120+ resting to 90+ and I feel better but my BP still varies from a low of 140/80 to a high of 199/120 and all points in between. My Dr has added HCTZ to my list of meds to take yesterday because my BP is not coming down and I have moderate swelling in feet and legs. I mail ordered the HCTZ but believe it is similar to the med that made me ill in the past.  My colesterol has ran between 280 and 320 for years and Dr doesn't want to give me meds for it. I have a new grandbaby and am worried about my health and longivity. I want my BP and colestrol down and I believe the BP is related to my shortness of breath, MVP, and light chest pains I get but my Dr is not concerned about those things at all. Am I being over cautious or do I need to find a new Dr. or get a second opinion? Any one with similar issues?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I do not understand that your doctor is not concerned "at all" as you stated.  A Cholesterol around and over 300 is way to high.  I too have a cholesterol problem.  My highest was 302.  I could not get it down with diet and exercise (tried for one solid year) and am now on 20mg of Zocor for the last three yrs and wish I had taken the Zocor much sooner.  I have no side effects at all, and my cholesterol is around 180, HDL and LDL normal as well as the Trigs, they were always on the low side.

About your high BP there are drugs who can bring it down.  I am on three different BP drugs, one of them is a patch I've to change every 7 days.  No side effects whatsoever.  Continue to live and eat healthy, exercise every day if you can, and along with meds your BP and Cholesterol should be able to be brought down to normal numbers.

Blank
61536_tn?1340701763
WHY on earth would a doctor not treat cholesterol as high as yours!???
Blank
To put it plain and very simple: get a second opinion ASAP!

I do not wish to be an alarmist, but this is a definite must in your situation given that your cardiologist is seemingly ignoring your high cholesterol levels.

BNB
Blank
I think it is worth trying a free alternative.This breathing exercise will help to bring your BP under control. You will  start to feel the benefits in weeks.Tell your doctor you are doing this.
- Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then  - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for 2-20 minutes. Maximum 3 times day.
Increase your timing gradually to 20 minutes.
Let us know how you progress.You may find it difficult to believe, but try it and there is no side effect.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Heart Disease Answerers
63984_tn?1385441539
Blank
Flycaster305
97303, OR
976897_tn?1379171202
Blank
ed34
watford, United Kingdom
Blank
skydnsr
159619_tn?1318997813
Blank
erijon
Salt Lake City, UT
329165_tn?1385201516
Blank
Smiley2000
Australia
Blank
Occupant
IL
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
Blank
Whiner_moper is ... Comment
13 mins ago
Blank
Sandman2 commented on Toxic Herbicides in B...
1 hr ago
1236893_tn?1394988190
Blank
gymdandee commented on Toxic Herbicides in B...
6 hrs ago
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Heart Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979