Heart Disease Expert Forum
MVP MR
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

MVP MR

I am a healthy 20 year old female standing about 5'3" and weighing around 105 lbs., diagnosed with MVP and mild MR when I was 10. I have had an echo every year since. It's been difficult; being in a military family, I had to change doctors often. About two years ago, I started having my first symptoms. Very rarely I would have stabbing chest pains in the left side of my chest to the point that I would just have to sit very still for several minutes and try to breathe shallow until it passed. I was told that it was just the fact that I was probably still developing (even though I was 18 at the time). That year I also started feeling dizzy and was often fatigued. I went to the doctor and all he did was accuse me of being anorexic. So, from then on, I just stopped telling anyone about any symptoms I had. I moved again and got another cardiologist about a year ago. When I went in, doc said he thought I would probably only have to come in every two years for an echo. Then after the echo he said he would have to see me every year because the regurgitation had gotten significantly worse. In the year following the symptoms progressed to include palpitations and shortness of breath. I just had my echo for the year, and was told that I have severe MR. Doc gave me Altace (I have low bp anyway) and a surgeon said I need surgery now and I should have been referred last year maybe. I want to know if it sounds like someone dropped the ball on this one. I also want to know if this is normal in 20 yr olds. Why would this happen all of a sudden? Bp now 89/59. Should I be concerned? Thanks.