Heart Disease Expert Forum
MVP and Breast Reduction

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

MVP and Breast Reduction

I'm scheduled for breast reduction surgery in a few days.  I have mitral valve prolapse with moderate regurgitation.  My symptoms are pretty much under control with Zebeta and Zoloft for anxiety.  My question is how much of a risk for me is it to have surgery with my health problems?  I know everyone always worries that bad things will go wrong before a surgery, but I really am nervous that the chances that I would have major complications during surgery are higher for me.  My doctor is going to give me an antibiotic before just to be on the safe side.  What do you think?
Given that you have a history of mitral regurgitation with the prolapse, it would probably be prudent to see a cardiologist for pre-operative evaluation.  Breast reduction is not a minor surgery.  There is lots of volume shifts and the surgery itself can be quite long.  Antibiotics is not a bad idea.  Getting an echo pre-op may also be helpful to help rule out any LV dysfucntion.  I am assuming that this will be normal.  I am also assuming that you do not have any limitations from the mitral regurgiation is terms of your physical activity and quality of life.  Finally, I am also assuming that there are no signs of heart failure such as exertional shortness of breath or swelling in your legs.  If that is the case, the overall risk of surgery is relatively low.
I had a breast reduction in 1999 and I think at that time I had moderate regurgitation from my mitral valve. It went just fine. You may find this interesting -I just had mitral valve repair surgery about a month ago because it had progressed to severe regurgitation and I had other symptoms. Because I had robotic assisted surgery, the incision was done under the right breast and my surgeon even used the same incision lines that were there from the breast reduction.  I am not a doctor but of course you will have antibiotics and if your doctor has ordered a pre-surgical cardiac work up and is satisfied, then I think you will do just fine. I found the breast reduction surgery to be quite easy, well tolerated, no pain, I was up and out the next day, and my recovery was very easy. I wish you the best of luck. I am sure you will be very happy with your breast reduction - I sure am.  Be sure you keep getting echocardiograms on your mvp. It can progress, without symptoms, and latest thinking is to be proactive and have it repaired before damage is done to the heart.
Lil711
Thanks for the information.  I have not had a recent cardiac work up, as a matter of fact about a year and a half ago my cardiologist released me from seeing him unless I had other problems.  I don't know why. I had the gambit of tests run, came back a year later and he told me that he didn't need to see me back on a regular basis.  I'm glad to know the surgery did cause you any problems.  Hope the same for me.  Do you mind me asking how old you are?
LOL  I am a little older than I admit to, and I admit to 57.  :)  Pretty youthful for my advanced age -- I must say that breast reduction is a great surgery, pretty much pain free and it made my life SO much more comfortable. I didn't have really large breasts until I got into menopause and then they took on a life of their own and moved to another zip  code!