Heart Disease Expert Forum
MVP with mild to at most moderate regurg

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Hi, I am a 45 year old male who has been diagnosed with MVP back in 2002.  I have had 6 echo's in the past 10 years.  They all have showed that my left ventricle is normal in size and function each time, along with having mild to at most moderate regurge. My last echo in 2010 showed that once again my left ventricle was normal in size and function, with at most, moderate regurge.  I am now due for my next echo and I am PANICKING.   I always panic prior to my echo for fear of it being worse, although, thus far, it never has gotten worse. Does the regurge usually get worse over time with MVP? Should I be worried?  Help.  Thanks
MVP with mitral regurgitation is a variable disease which can remain always mild/moderate or can progress to severe MR.  However, even with severe MR, if you don't have symptoms, left ventricular dysfunction, or atrial fibrillation, you can still be monitored for several years with medical management.  The fact that you have only mild/moderate MR means that you are even less likely to require surgery anytime soon.  Again, this is a variable disease, and there are instances when the MR can become worse suddenly for reasons such as infections of the valve or rupture of the chords that hold the valve in place, however you would likely have acute symptoms in circumstances like that.  Otherwise, it is often a chronic, slower disease process.  The fact that you are closely following up with your physician with echos is absolutely the right thing to do.