Heart Disease Expert Forum
MVP with palps

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

MVP with palps
  : I have pvcs with mitral valve prolapse with mild mitral and tricuspid reguritation. Should I be more concerned about my pvc's? You mention that pvc's are usually benign, but I have mvp with the reguritation. I am 35 years old. Worried...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Julie,
Mitral valve prolapse (MVP) is condition where the leaflets of the mitral valve (a valve separating the upper chamber of the heart from the lower chamber) prolapse (cross back into) the upper chamber of the heart.  It is generally a benign condition and is more common in women then men.  It some people regurgitation (back flow of blood) is present.  In these individuals antibiotic prophylaxis is recommended before undergoing dental procedures.   In severe situations of regurgitation surgery will sometimes become necessary.  Surgical repair of the valve is generally better that replacement.  The best surgeon in the country for mitral valve repair is Dr. Delos Cosgrove who practices here at the Cleveland Clinic.
Further information about MVP may be found at the following sites:
http://www.amhrt.org/Heart_and_Stroke_A_Z_Guide/mitral.html
http://www.quicklink.net/bham/mvps.html
Information provided here is for general educational purposes only. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and treatments. If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please Call 1 - 800 - CCF - CARE for an appointment at Desk F15 with a cardiologist

MVP