Heart Disease Community
MYOVIEW stress test

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

MYOVIEW stress test

Just how relialble is a Nuclear Stress Test? Especially for woman? I've read that the MYOVIEW is mostly taken up the by the breast tissue in woman and that results in a abnormal findings which will lead to other testing such as Cardiac Cath. Also, are there any reactions or side effects from the radioactive Isotope. I will be able to do the stress test so I don't need the pharmaceutical med. Also, I understand that with a Nuclear Stress Test, your given a small amount of the MYOVIEW during rest and is it true that during the excercise part they give you a little bit more(meaning a larger dose) One thing I don't want is a larger dose. Any answers to my questions is appreciated.

Thank You
Cathy
Avatar n tn
after you are on the mill a while they inject you again, then you have to wait a while before they scan you.  That part is important.  NSTs can be false pos but I have never heard of a false neg. so if it is neg you can get out of a cath.
Avatar n tn
I am allergic to the dyes they use for scans, but they said this is different.
Thank you for your respond to my question. One thing though, is it true that they give you a larger dosage of the MYOVIEW for the stress part of the test?
Avatar n tn
They inject something........I do not know what.  Why does that bother you?
What is myoview?
Avatar n tn
You heard wrong, myoview is actually more concentrated in the bladder, this means after the test and picture taking start drinking water, you want to pee, a lot, more than a lot. Of the 25 sites in the body tested the breasts were where the lowest concentrations were found.
About 40% of the active ingredient in myoview (technetium Tc99m tetrofosmin) is excreted thought urine. It also has a half life of about 6 hrs. That means between its natural decay rate and lots of fluids it will be pretty much out of your system in about 48 hours.
MYOVIEW is another type of isotope used in a nuclear stress test I guess similar to Thallium. I was just concern with reactions and side effects from it because I'm a type of person that has reactions to lots of meds, That was my only concern. Thanks to all that answered my question.  
You seem to be very knowledgeable regarding MYOVIEW would you know if there are any reactions or side effects that you know of?
I have had 6 or 7 nuclear stress test. More than 2 have been wrong. I think they were false negatives. This was in the mid 90's. I think the cameras have improved a lot. Still the main thing, other than the age of the technology, is how the equipment is maintained and calibrated, and the skill of the technicians and the doctor interpreting the results of the test . These variables are of utmost importance (no doubt).

I am becoming more sensitive to various chemicals and drugs with age, so I think it is very good for you to question what is being injected into you :)

It used to be that if a man had a big gut, or a woman had a large bosom, it could prevent clear views of the resting portion of the test. I don't know about Myoview.

I don't believe this radioactive contrast agent is as hard on the kidneys as say the contrast dye used for a ct scan or angiogram, which is almost the same. Still I would drink lots of water after the test.

This is the very worst information I can find about MYOVIEW:

-------------------------------------------------

In studying patients with known or suspected coronary artery disease, care should be taken to ensure continuous cardiac monitoring and the availability of emergency cardiac treatment. As with all injectable drug products, allergic reactions, and anaphylaxis may occur.

The State of California requires that customers and employees are provided with warnings about reproductive and
carcinogenic hazards associated with substances sold in California. Under Proposition 65, the following warning
applies:
WARNING: This product contains a substance (Stannous Chloride) known to the State of California to cause reproductive toxicity.

http://www.amershamhealth-us.com/myoview/
Avatar n tn
From what I know less than 1% of the people tested had a reaction to myoview, Cardiolite another common "dye" has adverse affects in about 3% of the tested subjects.
Would you know what kind of a reaction? I was told I would feel no different after the MYOVIEW is injected. I know with the pharmaceutical type there are reactions to those meds. I'm only concern because I am not a very good patient when it comes to receiving any meds I have reactions to them so this is kind of scaring me.
Avatar n tn
Reactions can range from being allergic to it, to just a headache..some have a metallic taste in their mouth, altered smell..there have been cases of angina, but those were unable to be determined if the drug was at fault or if it was the stressing of the heart.(as far as the chest pain (angina) goes its my opinion that running uphill probably has a lot to do with that side affect)
Over all I really wouldnt worry about it..
Thank you for your knowledge regarding Myoview it's been very helpful. I can only hope and pray that when I go for the stress test all will come back normal.
Does it matter if you have a defibrillator when getting a stress test does the stuff they inject you with mess with the defibrillator?