Heart Disease Expert Forum
Maintanence of EF

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Maintanence of EF
c
My Grandmother died @65 of DCM. Of her 11 children, 7 that I know of have it and currently have pacemakers, one has an ICD. I have a couple questions regarding this history.

1. Is the EF the main cause of  complications like CHF?

2. Is there anything my siblings and I can to to boost our EF now?

3. My mother is 72. Apparently her EF was in the 60's in '92 and is now in the 30's. In general, what be expected?

Thank you
1. Yes
2. No. However, regular exercise and proper nutrition would still be a good idea.
3. No one can say. In general, a low EF is associated with an increased risk of death. However, in a particular individual, EF is poorly predictive of subsequent risk of mortality.