Heart Disease Expert Forum
Mammary Artery Pain after Open Heart Surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

In July/2010, at the age of 61 I underwent double coronary by-pass surgery at the Veteran's Hospital in Gainesville,
Florida, where the right mammary artery was used for the by-pass.

After the by-pass surgery, I changed my lifestyle and became a Vegetarian based on Dr. Caldwell Esselystn book "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease". I am 5'9" and weight 158 lbs with a BMI of 23.4.

My exercise regimen is composed of three 54 mile bicycle rides every week. During these rides which average 18 mph, I have been experiencing substantial pain where my right mammary artery was removed for the surgery. Is this something I need to worry about?
Tags: Mammary Artery
Avatar_dr_f_tn
It is unlikely that the pain is related to the mammary artery at all.

However, if the pain is in your right arm, there could be some narrowing of the subclavian artery at the site where the mammary was disconnected, causing decreased blood flow to your arm during exercise and therefore causing pain.

If the pain is in your chest and associated with exercise, it would probably be reasonable to have an ischemic evaluation, such as an exercise stress test, to make sure the pain is related to decreased coronary blood flow.