Heart Disease Expert Forum
Measurement difference between Chest CT and Cardiac MRI
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Measurement difference between Chest CT and Cardiac MRI

I was diagnosed with a Ascending Aortic Thoracic Aneurysm a little over a year ago.  I first had a Echo, which showed a measurement of 4.7cm.  The echo was followed with a Cat Scan of the chest with contrast, which showed a measurement of 5.2cm.  Over the year I had an additional Echo and Chest CT scan every 6 months.  The 3rd CT scan done this May showed the aneurysm had grown to 5.9x5.5cm at the aortic root.  I also have a failing aortic valve.  My cardiologist said it was time for surgery.  She talked with the surgeon and they agreed I could have a Cardiac MRI rather than cardiac cath., I am 38 and my problem is from my rheumatological condition.

Much to my surprise the Cardiac MRI has the aortic root measurement at 3.8x3.5 cm.

Which result is correct, or can all be correct?