Measuring Ejection Fractio
Which is the more accurate measurement of Ejection Fraction... a Myocardial Perfusion Scan or 2-D Doppler Echocardiogram?
I didn't even know a nuclear perfusion scan was used to establish ejection fractions of the Ventricles, but you learn something every day. I thought this looked at the myocardium and established oxygenation of the tissue.
The Ultrasound is used most commonly because it's the cheapest. It is usually calculated over 10 cycles but is still estimated to some extent.
The gold standard for measuring Ejection fractions is ventriculography. This involves injecting contrast dye directly into the ventricles.
I tend to agree. I thought the perfusion scan simply measured the blood flow to the myocardium under stress and at rest, then compared the two for the results. I had both the perfusion scan and echo on 29 September. My cardiologist referenced the echo for ejection fraction, but when I presented both results to the company doctor to approve me to return to work he said the perfusion scan was more accurate. I really don't think he knows what he's talking about. And the values between the two tests were quite different. According the to perfusion scan EF was 41%, but the echo was 50%. LOL...I'll take the echo results if you don't mind :).
I had a echo back in July 2009 shortly before I had a ton of other testing including a cath that showed quite a difference in my pressures and EF from echo, MRI and cath.  

My ep told me then there was such a difference possibly due to tech and reader error...so I started doing research and found that there's a +/- 10% for echo's and sometimes more depending on the tech & reader's expertise some reports show up to +/- 15% errors which can mean alot.

Here's some info I found and what brought up a conversation with dr's I've seen: http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/305549/One-size-fits-all?personal_page_id=861727  not one dr I've asked can tell me what echo parameter standards their office uses - they have to do some research was the answer I got, this included the largest teaching university here in FL.

This info isn't meant to start a heated debate just what I've found for my personal use and what information my dr's have given me.

Ask your dr what echo parameter standards they use, you may get an answer and be able to research the variables on it and error rates.
No debate intended here and some interesting info. Thanks. I was assuming that my cardiologist would be the person to ultimately interpret the echo and I will ask about that. I was told that he would most definately be interpreting the results of the myocardial scan since he is certified in nuclear medicine.
Thanks again.
Oh yeah I forgot....the ejection fraction measures from my echo and heart cath were right on...before the surgery both measured EF at 45%.