Heart Disease Community
Medical Stint Cards

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Medical Stint Cards

In 2007 my father had 2 stints put in his lower left leg.  We found out later that anytime you have stints you should receive a card from the doctor that you carry with you.  At the next doctor’s appointment, the doctor was asked about this he stated that he would send them to us.  We never received them.

This past week my father had a medical emergency and went into the hospital.  The hospital (Michigan) did numerous tests and also wanted to do an MRI and asked us for the cards.  We explained that we did not have them, but told them were the stints were.  Of course they still wanted/needed the cards or the information on the stints, and we understood this.  The follow in bullet form is what happened next:

 Called the doctor’s office that did the procedure.  They stated they he is no longer with the Cardiovascular Institute and as dad did not sign a release form this year; the doctor’s office does not have his records.  We need to contact the hospital where this was preformed.

 We called the hospital where the procedure was preformed – we were informed that the current hospital (the hospital dad is now in) needed to send a fax explaining what they wanted and the information would fax it over

 We explained this to the current hospital and the process started.  The information received only included where the stints were not any other information.  The current hospital stated that they needed to know what they were made of before they could do the MRI and this information is not contained.  They contact the other hospital again several times and were told this was all the information contained in the transcript from the doctor.

 I personally contact the hospital, explained the issue and they told me the same thing.  No additional information except what was faxed to the current hospital was on the medical file and suggested that I contact doctor’s office.  I explained that we had and what his office had stated.  They told me that I should have these cards and that the doctor should have given them to us at the time that the stints were put in.  They suggested maybe the Cardiovascular Institute could help.

 I personally contacted the Cardiovascular Institute and explained the situation.  They pulled the records and again stated that the doctor did not give any additional information.  Once again, I was told that it was the doctor’s responsibility to give us these cards.  Again, I was told to call the doctor’s office to get the cards and have him updated the records with the additional information.  The Cardiovascular Institute stated that he can do this as he is still associated with the original hospital even if he is not associated with them.

 I spoke with the doctor’s assistant, explained the situation.  I told him that even if we can not get the original cards, can he tell me how to get replacement cards.  He stated that he would see what he could do and call me back.

 The assistant call back and stated the following:  We (the doctor and himself) don’t understand why you are getting the run around.  
* Number 1 - You do not get cards if the stints are inserted into the leg only if they go into the heart!
* Number 2 – The stints are in the leg that part of you does not go into the MRI machine, therefore it does not matter.
Then he told me that the stints are Abbott Non Drug Eluting Self-Extending Stints.

My Question is:
What do we do now?  We have to hospitals plus the Cardiovascular Institute  saying one thing and a doctor’s office saying another.  I truly believe that we need these cards, how do we get them?  Please help
Tags: stint, Cards