Heart Disease Expert Forum
Medication After Heart Surgery
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Medication After Heart Surgery

I have had five arteries by passed and an ascending aorta aneurism (aneurysm) repaired.

I had marginal high blood pressure, but not always, in the 130s over the 90s.

My blood pressure so far after surgery has been controlled with a 40mg lasix, furosemide, once a day. I have lost 30lbs since surgery. I attend cardiac rehabilitation where exercise is done for 34 minutes in treadmills bikes, etc. 17 minutes on two of these within an hour with warmup and cool down exercises.

I have gone to two cardiologists. the first, at 4 weeks after surgery, said to take 25mg of metoprolol twice a day.and 10mg of simvastatin once a day.

The second cardiologist gone to, after 7 weeks of surgery, because of wanting another opinion has determined the lasix is keeping my blood pressure down for now and that I only need 20mg of simvastatin once a day. he said he would determine if a beta blocker is needed at my next visit which would be in 3 months.

My surgeon at my after surgery review at six weeks said I should be on a beta blocker.

My question is which is best for me considering the surgery performed on me? Am I at risk for not being on a beta blocker considering the aacending aorta aneurism (aneurysm) repair?

Thanks.
Related Discussions
4 Comments
Blank
242508_tn?1287427246
You should most certainly be on a beta blocker for two reason, one being the aortic repair and the other being the bypass surgery.  It's very important that you stay on it as long as possible.  
Blank
If on a beta blocker such as metoprolol will such keep blood pressure within requirements of what is established as good blood pressure for ascending aorta repair and bypass in any given circumstance, but expecially exercise?

Normally blood pressure without a beta blocker can exceed normal safe requirements in certain circumstances.  I ask if the beta blocker will prevent this at all times or just control what ever circumstance calls up excessive adrenaline in the body to create blood pressure higher than normal?

Thank you for your responses.  
Blank
242508_tn?1287427246
Beta blockers are very effective with BP control, but their effect varies from individual to individual.  The only way to know is to try and see how it works.  If additional blood pressure meds are necessary they can be added on to the regimen, but beta blockers should be the first choice in your case.
Blank
Can a lasix be safely combined with 50 mg metoprolol and 10mg simvastatin daily. If so how much is safe?

Thanks
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now