Heart Disease Expert Forum
Medication for CHF patient
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Medication for CHF patient

My mother, age 91, has CHF, probably stage 4.  Still ambulatory in her own home with day care help.  She had been on furosemide, lanoxin, zestril, and 10mg heart patches and nitro tabs as needed.  She weighs about 85 lbs, with no obvious signs of edema (how can a layman tell?); blood pressure 50/100. She stopped taking meds about two months ago, except for the patches, and is convinced that she has fewer "attacks" without it. It does appear to be true. She's a strong willed and intelligent lady that is not enamoured with Doctors. I'm mainly concerned about possible edema as that seems to be a killer. Is there any way I can tell?  Should I urge her to resume the furosemide?

Thank you for yor help.  Ted.