Heart Disease Expert Forum
Medication withdrawal

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Medication withdrawal

I received a call from my cardiologists office a couple of weeks ago saying that I needed to half my dose of amiodarone because my liver enzymes have continued to increase everytime they check my blood. Since I reduced my amiodarone I feel like I have been having almost constant palpatations.  My rate has sometimes been up around 300bpm.  Incidentally, the reason I am on the amiodarone is for a rapid atrial fibrillation. I have not yet seen my cardiologist about this, but I do happen to have an appointment coming up soon.
Questions:
1)  Is it okay to wait for the appointment to let him know about this, or should I call sooner?

2)  I thought that amiodarone took a while to get out of your system.  Is it possible that my heart is already reacting to the dose reduction, or is it more likely it is a coincidence?

3)  Do you think that when my doctor discovers the arrythmias getting worse again (when he interrogates my pacemaker, he can see how many episodes I've had), that he will increase my dose back up again.  Is the elevated liver enzymes that big a deal?

Thankyou so much for all of your help.  It is much appreciated.
Dear cn,
1.  It is always better to call.  If it is something that your doctor feels comfortable waiting until your appointment he/she can let you know over the phone.

2. Yes, amiodarone stays in the system for about a month.  It's hard to say if the reduced dose is related or not.  A blood level  may help sort that out.

3. This is a clinical judgement question.  It would depend on how high the enzymes are going, what other medications have been tried, what symptoms you are having and what your preferences are.  It's best to let him look at all the data and give you his best advice on what the next step should be.