Heart Disease Expert Forum
Medication withdrawal
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Medication withdrawal

I received a call from my cardiologists office a couple of weeks ago saying that I needed to half my dose of amiodarone because my liver enzymes have continued to increase everytime they check my blood. Since I reduced my amiodarone I feel like I have been having almost constant palpatations.  My rate has sometimes been up around 300bpm.  Incidentally, the reason I am on the amiodarone is for a rapid atrial fibrillation. I have not yet seen my cardiologist about this, but I do happen to have an appointment coming up soon.
Questions:
1)  Is it okay to wait for the appointment to let him know about this, or should I call sooner?

2)  I thought that amiodarone took a while to get out of your system.  Is it possible that my heart is already reacting to the dose reduction, or is it more likely it is a coincidence?

3)  Do you think that when my doctor discovers the arrythmias getting worse again (when he interrogates my pacemaker, he can see how many episodes I've had), that he will increase my dose back up again.  Is the elevated liver enzymes that big a deal?

Thankyou so much for all of your help.  It is much appreciated.