Heart Disease Expert Forum
Medications
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Medications

I am presently on Lopressor 50mg. 2x daily and Maxide 50/75 1x daily... My pressure is still high.  I am being switched to Diovan 80mg. 1x daily with the Lopressor also.. Is that a good combo?  Is it safe to stop Maxide and go on Diovan.  Thanks for your feedback.
Related Discussions
Dear Bushkey,
Lopressor belongs to the family of drugs called beta-blockers.  
These drugs work to lower the heart rate and blood pressure and are generally well tolerated.  Potential side effects are slow heart rate, depression and erectile dysfunction.  They should be used with caution in combination with calcium channel blockers.  

Diovan belongs to a class of drugs called angiotensin receptor blockers and is similar to ACE inhibitors.  They lower the effects of angiotension and are also generally well tolerated.  The main side effects to watch for are cough, swelling and renal disturbances.  They are safe to combine with beta-blockers.

Maxide is a diuretic and is safe to stop without a taper.
3 Comments
Blank
I am a 31 year old female with a heart murmur. How often should I have a electrocardiogram done? Is there any surgery for this condition?
Blank
six weeks ago i received a pacemaker and the dr. also prescribed betapace.  what have others noted as to side affects?  I have been extremely tired and lethargic. Any suggestions please?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity