Heart Disease Expert Forum
Medicines for my Mother
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Medicines for my Mother

My mother is 74 yrs. old is on the following medications for heart, high blood
  pressure, diabetes (insulin dependant).  She takes Cozaar 50mg., coumadin 2.5
  mg., miacalcin, furosemide, Lanoxin, Rezulin 600mg.
  She is loosing her hair.  Is this normal?  And is this possibly some drug
  reaction?
  Thank you,
  Linda LaPorte
Related Discussions

Dear Linda,
Hair loss, or alopecia, in your mother's case could either be due to aging-related changes, or possibly has occurred as a side effect of medications.  I've done a search of the reported adverse events associated with the medications you've listed and have found the following information:  less than one percent of patients treated with cozaar (losartan) experienced hair loss.  It is difficult to be certain whether this hair loss would have occurred in the absence of the medication (naturally occuring), or whether it was truly associated with the medication.  
Two options she could consider would include seeing a dermatologist to examine the pattern of hair loss and determine what mechanism (age-related changes, or medications) is most likely.  Secondly,  she could discuss with her doctor stopping the cozaar (by substituting this with another class of blood pressure medications) and watching whether this change in the medicines is helpful.  
Information in the Heart Forum is for general purposes only.  Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be provided by your physician.  

1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, thinning hair was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank