Heart Disease Community
Memory Loss getting serious

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Memory Loss getting serious

Has anyone experienced memory loss after their heart attack? Is this the meds or aftereffects of the MI?

I'm having lots of trouble after returning to work with dates, appointments, names. Is this temporary and should I tell the doc?

I'm taking Plavix/Metaprolol/Lipitor/Niaspan/Asprin/Dilantin.

Should I see my neurologist for safe measure?
Following a heart attack back in October 2007, I am not at much of a loss of memory. however at times I could feel how sharper my memory was before the onset of the ailment. I would forget for a moment even names of closely known people.The event is however brief and i would soon gain my memory back.I would attribute possible reasons for this to the score o medicines taken.
There are memory problems associated with an open heart surgery (patient is on a mechanical pump for the period of the operation).

It is possible there is some memory problem with a heart attack as for a brief period of time during the heart attack  there is insufficient cardiac output, and the deficit of blood/oxygen supply that caused the heart attack could effect the brain as well for lack of oxygen.  Meds can also be a factor.
I went through a period of time after bypass surgery when I thought I had come down with CRS.  Names and dates were almost impossible for me, even names for people that I knew very well.  It lasted just a few months, and then improved gradually back to pretty much normal.

It sure won't hurt to mention it to your doctor, but most likely it will clear up in a while without any kind of treatment.  To my understanding, memory problems are a fairly common occurrance when dealing with cardiac issues.

Be of good cheer........
Thank you for your replies - it gives me a measure of reassurance that I'm not losing it!
Best wishes.